What are passwords?
In Password Safe v8, the data record with the passwords contained therein represents the central data object. The Passwords module provides administrators and end users with central access to the passwords on a daily basis for the purpose of handling this sensitive data that requires protection. in combination with colour-highlighted enable very focussed work. Various approaches can be used to help apply the desired to objects. Furthermore, the ergonomic structure of the module helps all users to use Password Safe in an efficient and targeted manner.
The following user right is required for adding new passwords:
- Can add new passwords
Module-specific ribbon functions
A great strength of the ribbon is that it offers access to all possible actions relevant to the situation at all times. Especially within the “Passwords” module, the ribbon plays a key role due to the numerous module-specific functions. General information on the subject of the is available in the relevant section. The module-specific ribbon functions will be explained below.
- New password: New passwords can be added via this icon in the ribbon, via the context menu that is accessed using the right mouse button and via the shortcut (Ctrl + N). The next step is to select a suitable .
- Open: Opens the object marked in and provides further information about the record in the .
- Delete: Deletes the object marked in . A log file entry is created (see ).
- Reveal: The function Reveal can be used for all records that have a password field. Here, the passwords in the reading pane are revealed and are visible. In the example, the passwords have been revealed and can be hidden again with the Hide button.
- Notifications: Defining notifications enables a constant flow of information about any type of change to records. The issuing of notifications is carried out in the .
- Duplicate: Duplicating records produces an exact copy of the record marked in list view. This applies to all saved information and also defined permissions.
- Move: Moves the record marked in list view to another organisational structure.
- Favourite: The selected record is marked as a favourite. It is possible to switch between all records and favourites at any time above the .
- Quick view: A modal window opens for the selected record for 15 seconds and displays all available information including the value of the password.
- Change form: It is possible to change the used for individual records. “Mapping” of the previous form fields can be directly carried out in the modal window that opens.
- Permissions: The drop-down menu can be used to set both and also form field permissions. This method only allows the manual setting of permissions for data ().
- Password masking: Masking passwords that need to be protected from unauthorized users is an important feature of the security concept in Password Safe. The is described in a separate section.
- Seal: The double-check principle in Password Safe is also covered in .
The message in the style of the “Balloon Tips” in Windows shows that the password has now been saved in the clipboard for 300 seconds. (Note: the time until the clipboard is cleared is 60 seconds by default. In the present case, this has been adjusted via the user settings.)
Conveniently working with passwords is only possible via the efficient usage of automated accesses via RDP, SSH, general Windows applications or websites. This makes it possible to dispense with (unsecure) entries via “copy & paste”.
- Open web page: If a URL is saved in the record, this menu option can be used to directly open it.
- Applications: If have been linked to records, they can be directly opened via the “start menu”.
- Create external link: This option makes it possible to create an external link for the record marked in list view. A number of different options can be selected:
- History: This icon opens the history for those records selected in list view in a new tab. Due to the comprehensive recording of historical versions of passwords, it is now possible to compare several versions with one another. Further information on this subject is available .
- Print: This option can be used to open the print function.
- Export: It is possible to export both all the selected records and also the data defined by the filter to a .csv file.
- Change form: This option can be used to assign a new form to the selected passwords.
- Settings: The password settings are described in a separate section.