We recommend that you install the database on a separate MSSQL database cluster in order to prevent system failures. It should also be mirrored to another data centre at a different location. We recommend the following to ensure smooth operation:
- Min. Windows Server 2012 R2
- At least 4 x CPU
- Min. 16 GB RAM
- Min. 100 GB hard disk space
- Installed and licensed Microsoft MSSQL Server 2012 or later (from Express)
The application server requires the following port to be enabled:
- Port 1433 TCP for communication with application server (incoming)
At least two databases are created during installation:
- The configuration database, which contains all settings for the application servers
- The main database, which holds all information about users and records
The two databases can be created and managed directly via the admin console. However, some requirements must be met on the MSSQL server for this purpose:
A specific SQL user should be used for the Password Safe V8 databases. The server admin (SA) may be used but is not absolutely necessary. The user thus requires the following rights:
- dbCreator: If the databases are created via the AdminClient, the user must have the dbCreator right.
- dbOwner: If the databases are created manually on the MSSQL server and are only managed by the AdminClient, dbOwner rights are sufficient.
- In any case, the user must have read rights for the master database.
An MSSQL database is required for each Password Safe database. Multiple databases can be run on one SQL instance. As Password Safe V8 enables the clean separation of all data via the authorization concept, a single MSSQL database is sufficient for most applications.