What are passwords?
In Password Safe v8, the data record with the passwords contained therein represents the central data object. The Passwords module provides both central administrators and end users with the central access to the daily handling of these sensitive and safe data. in combination with colour-highlighted enable very focussed work. Various approaches can be used to help apply the desired to objects. Furthermore, the ergonomic structure of the module helps all users to use Password Safe in an efficient and targeted manner.
Module-specific ribbon functions
A great strength of the ribbon is that it offers access to all possible actions relevant to the situation at all times. Especially within the “Passwords” module, the ribbon plays a key role due to the numerous module-specific functions. General information on the subject of the is available in the relevant section. The module-specific ribbon functions will be described below.
- “New password” New passwords can be added via both this icon in the ribbon and also via the context menu that is accessed using the right mouse button. In addition, the keyboard shortcut for this function is “Ctrl + N”. The next step is to select a suitable .
- Open: Opens the object marked in and provides further information about the record in the
- Delete Deletes the object marked in . A log file entry is created. (see )
- Reveal: The function Reveal can be used for all records that have a password field. Here, the passwords in the reading pane are revealed and are visible. In the example, this is revealed, and can be hidden again with the * Hide * button.
- Notifications: Defining notifications enables a constant flow of information about any type of change to records. The issuing of notifications is carried out in the .
- Duplicate: Duplicating records produces an exact copy of the record marked in list view. This applies to all saved information and also defined permissions.
- Move: Moves the record marked in list view to another organisational structure.
- Favourite: The selected record is marked as a favourite. It is possible to switch between all records and favourites at any time above the .
- Quick view: A modal window opens for the selected record for 15 seconds and displays all available information including the value of the password.
- Change form: It is possible to change the used for individual records. “Mapping” of the previous form fields can be directly carried out in the modal window that opens.
- Permissions: The drop-down menu can be used to set both and also form field permissions. This method only allows the manual setting of permissions for data. ()
- Password masking: Masking passwords that need to be protected from unauthorized users is an important feature of the security concept in Password Safe. The is described in a separate section.
- Seal: The double-check principle in Password Safe is also covered in .
The clipboard is a key element in the ribbon. This only exists in the “Passwords” module. Clicking on the desired form field of a record in the ribbon will copy it to the clipboard.
The message in the style of the “Balloon Tips” in Windows shows that the password has now been saved in the clipboard for 300 seconds. (Note: the time until the clipboard is cleared is 60 seconds by default. In the present case, this has been adjusted via the user settings.)
Conveniently working with passwords is only possible via the efficient usage of automated accesses via RDP, SSH, general Windows applications or websites. This makes it possible to dispense with (unsecure) entries via copy & paste.
- Open web page: If a URL is saved in the record, this menu option can be used to directly open it
- Applications: If have been linked to records, they can be directly opened via the “start menu”
- History: This icon opens the history of those records selected in list view in a new tab. Due to the comprehensive recording of historical versions of passwords, it is now possible to compare several versions with one another. Further information on this subject is available .
- Create external link: This option makes it possible to create an external link for the record marked in list view. A number of different options can be selected:
- Start application: In contrast to the option for starting linked applications, this icon can be used to also directly start non-linked applications using the log-in information from the record marked in list view.